Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for supplementary payments in addition to their regular monthly pension. Housebound and Aid & Attendance benefits can help to cover the cost of in-home care, assisted living, or a nursing home.
What if I am not currently eligible for Basic Pension?
Because Aid & Attendance and Housebound payments increase the overall pension amount, people who are not eligible for a basic pension due to excessive income may be eligible for pension with the addition of these extra payments.
Am I eligible for Aid & Attendance (A&A) benefits?
In order to be eligible to receive A&A benefits you must meet one of the following requirements:
- You require the aid of another person in performing personal functions required in everyday living such as bathing, feeding, dressing, etc.
- You are bedridden – your disability requires that you remain in bed a majority of the time
- You are a patient in a nursing home due to a mental or physical incapacity
- Your eyesight is limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less
Am I eligible for Housebound benefits?
In order to be eligible to receive Housebound benefits you must meet one of the following requirements:
- You have a single permanent disability that is 100% disabling AND, due to such disability, you are permanently and substantially confined to your home, OR,
- You have a single permanent disability that is 100% disabling AND, another disability, or disabilities, evaluated as 60% or more disabling.
*A Veteran or surviving spouse may not receive A&A benefits and Housebound benefits at the same time.
How Do I Apply?
You may apply for Aid & Attendance or Housebound benefits by filing a request with any VA regional office. In your application, you should include a report from your doctor as evidence of your need for Aid & Attendance or Housebound type care.
This report should discuss how well you get around, where you go in daily activity, and what you are able to do during a typical day. In addition, it should specify whether or not you are confined to your home.